Mount Chimborazo is a volcano located in Ecuador. It’s the highest peak in Ecuador and one of the most active volcanoes on Earth. Mount Chimborazo has a number of climbing routes that range from beginner to advanced, including ice climbing and rock climbing.
The weather on Mount Chimborazo is usually very good for climbing, with temperatures ranging from about 20°C at night to about 23°C during the day (or even higher). Although it can get cold at night—sometimes as low as 4°C—there is no snow and ice on Mount Chimborazo because it is always surrounded by clouds. June to July and January to February are good season for climb.
Chimborazo has a number of different climbing routes, each with their own unique qualities. These include:
Cordillera del Cachipay: This route is considered moderate in difficulty and has an elevation of 2,300 meters (7,500 feet). It takes climbers through a forested area with abundant streams and waterfalls. The route is also known as “The Grand Canyon of Chimborazo.”
Cordillera del Aguja: This route is considered easy in difficulty and has an elevation of 1,000 meters (3,280 feet). It takes climbers through a forested area with abundant streams and waterfalls. The route is also known as “The Little Grand Canyon.”
Cordillera del Condor: This route is considered moderate in difficulty and has an elevation of 2,700 meters (9,000 feet). It takes climbers through a forested area with abundant streams and waterfalls.
Here is the itinerary of day 1 and day 2
- Arrive at the airport and check in.
- Go through immigration and customs.
- Take a taxi to your hotel.
- Take a quick nap, then have dinner with your family.
- Relax by the pool or go out to eat at one of the many restaurants nearby.
- Wake up early, have breakfast and study Spanish (optional). Alternatively, you could take a tour of Quito or visit the famous museums nearby.
- After breakfast, take an excursion to Cholila volcano (optional). This is an active volcano that erupts every once in a while; you can see how it works and learn about how volcanoes work in general. Afterwards, take another excursion through Quito on horseback or take a bus tour around town if you prefer not to travel by horseback or by bus. Make sure to check out the amazing views from both excursions!
- Enjoy lunch before heading back home for some rest before dinner with family later on today.